Re: tramp (2.0.25); multihop broken for me.

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.25); multihop broken for me.
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:27:20 +0200

Tim Connors <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmmm, doesn't work. I just learnt how to use the emacs lisp debugger
> (yay!), and stepped through the code. I am as yet unsure what (nth) is
> meant to do, (it seems to return "C-b" perhaps for the method match), and
> don't yet know the difference to (string-match) and (match-string), so
> can't exactly help debugging this one, but what I see happening is you are
> trying to get method from a tramp-file-name-structure, when you should
> perhaps be getting it from tramp-multi-file-name-structure. There is no
> match for either match or method, so the (if (and method..... test fails
> because method is set to nil.

C-h f is your friend.  It tells you that (nth N LIST) returns the Nth
element of LIST (starting counting from zero).

In Emacs Lisp there is no difference between numbers and characters,
so the debugger helpfully displays the character for a number and
vice versa.

string-match does regular expression matching, and match-string can
be used after string-match to find out which part of the string
matched the regular expression.

kai