Re: 2003-02-12 / tramp-remote-path vs. LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Jochen_Hayek
Subject: Re: 2003-02-12 / tramp-remote-path vs. LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:13:10 +0100

> address@hidden writes:

    >> tramp makes use of a *PATH* to search executables.
    >>
    >> But what if one of these executables depends on a library to be
    >> found e.g through something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    >>
    >> But there does not seem to be a possibility to make use of such a
    >> thing, right?

    KG> That's right.  You're the first to need it, I think.  Do you need it?

Well, not me personally,
I mean you are the "master of the code" wrt tramp,
but e.g. if you make use of libz,
that would probably be found through LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
as I (in turn) do not have sysadmin rights "right here",
so I would install things under ~/usr/local/{bin,lib,...} .

    KG> [...]

    KG> Some moons ago, I changed Tramp to have configurable actions for the
    KG> time before the first shell prompt comes.  But then I lost my energy
    KG> and didn't finishe the job to have actions for the time after the
    KG> first shell prompt...

No hurry, you are setting the pace here.

Many thanks for you work on tramp!

J.