Re: Cannot execute encoding commands

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Cannot execute encoding commands
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:44:09 +0200

Eric Knauel <address@hidden> writes:

> A bit to early for that statement. ;-) It works fine, when I connect
> to a machine as another user (e.g. root), thus I have to provide a
> password for SSH. However, if I connect using an account where I don't
> need to provide a password (ssh-agent) tramps seems to be confused and
> hangs:
>
> ,----
> | test: 2: unexpected operator
> | tramp_exit_status 2
> | address@hidden ~]
> `----

Hm.  Looks like Tramp sent strange code to the remote end.  Weird.
Can you send me the contents of the *debug tramp/foo* buffer?  (If
there is no such buffer, set tramp-debug-buffer to t.)

> Connecting as root gives me a prompt that looks like this: "lifeline#
> ". This SHELL-PROMPT-PATTERN should match both cases, if I'm right:
>
> ,----
> | (setq tramp-default-method "ssh"
> |       shell-prompt-pattern  "\\(#\\|\]\\) $")
> `----

I think it should be \\] instead of \].  Otherwise, it seems okay.
Hm.  You're matching at end of line.  I used to do that, too, but
there were problems.  So I changed it back to not require match at
end of line.  Can you look in the lisp/ChangeLog to see if you find
anything about this?  It's been some months ago.

> As root I get /bin/csh as shell, /bin/tcsh otherwise. Might this be
> the problem?

I don't think so.