Re: Upgrading Debian causing login-trouble with 2.0.28

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Upgrading Debian causing login-trouble with 2.0.28
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:33:55 +0100

Kjetil Kjernsmo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 17 November 2003 12:30, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> You should deactivate escape sequences of the prompt. See discussion
>> in the Tramp info pages under "(tramp)Remote shell setup".
>
> Hm, OK, I can't see anything specific about escape sequences
> there....?

I meant the part describing the regular expression for
shell-prompt-pattern and tramp-shell-prompt-pattern.

> However, I've tried to set the remote prompt to simply
> PS1='pooh>'
>
> ...and still, it "hangs"... Ah, but then, there is a known bug in the
> old Debian package:
>
> Sorry to be disturbing, but is there an easy way to work around this?

Hmm. The latest Debian Tramp package seems to be Tramp 2.0.28,
indeed. And I vaguely remember there have been some prompt problems,
which have been solved by Kai. But I haven't seen respective ChangeLog
entries for Tramp 2.0.29; likely the fix happened later. So a small
patch on top of Tramp 2.0.28 wouldn't be simple.

Maybe you try the recent Tramp 2.0.36? You'll find it at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/tramp/