Re: tramp (2.0.36); Times out on OS X 10.3 (Panther)

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.36); Times out on OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:39:21 +0000

Ray Ryan <address@hidden> writes:

> Andrew Choi gave me the fix:
>
>> Tramp seems to require process-connection-type to be set to t to use
>> ssh.  Unfortunately as it stands, the default value of
>> process-connection-type is t when started from a terminal and nil
>> when  started to run with Carbon GUI.  Since you're running under
>> Panther,  please try setting process-connection-type to t in a
>> startup file and  see if tramp/ssh will work correctly in both cases.

Ah, yes.  I don't like this.

One workaround could be use one of the *x methods.  They are
documented to be good for Windows users, but the Windows users are
experiencing the same pty problem you're seeing.

Using the *x methods is less than perfect because it only works right
with ssh, but Tramp also supports telnet and suchlike.  But maybe it's
good enough for you?

Do the *x methods work?  If so, advice to this effect could be added
to the Tramp manual.  You're not the first Mac user to bring this up.
(But until now I failed to mention the *x methods.)  No sense in
having many people ask, adding it to the docs would be better.

Kai