Re: contrib/base64.el doesn't work

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: contrib/base64.el doesn't work
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:59:14 +0100

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> * Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > The whole point is: For how long has base64 functionality been part of
>   > XEmacs?  If it's been that way for years, then we just get rid of
>   > contrib/base64.el, saying that modern Tramps don't play with ancient
>   > XEmacsen.
>
> The earliest mention I can find of base64 encode/decode functions in
> the ChangeLogs is November 1998 (version 21.2-b3).  IMO you can safely
> dump contrib/base64.el.  Just tell people that they need at least
> XEmacs 21.4 to use Tramp.

Right.

> No Gnus has done this[1].  And the XEmacs people themselves have said
> that packages no longer need to support XEmacsen older than 21.4.

Finally, a statement!  And such a positive one, at that.  Thanks a
lot, Steve.  (I love you, too ;-)

> Footnotes:
> [1]  That's "No" as in the codename, not no as in the negative.  (I
>      hate that codename, it's too confusing)

Actually, the name has potential.  A friend used to have a login name
that was the German equivalent of "me".  He used to say, just send
mail to me.  And then people said, what address?  8-)

Kai