Re: Provide a /bin/cat based inline encoding?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Provide a /bin/cat based inline encoding?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:09:24 +0100

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> So it would be useful to allow Tramp to interoperate with really dumb
> hosts, which have neither Perl nor uuencode, nor mimencode.

Maybe it's useful to use "sed -ne l"?  Please try this on a number of
files.  Include non-ascii characters in them, put $ signs in them, put
tabs and \r in them.

I'm not sure if the output format of "sed -ne l" is the same
everywhere.  I tried FreeBSD (-current) and GNU/Linux (Debian woody),
and they seem to be the same.

This would allow us to encode files on the remote end.  Lisp code can
be used to decode them.

For the other direction, it might work to use "echo -e" and octal
escapes.  Except that I think that "echo -e" is not standardized.
Hm.  Is there a program which is known to grok octal escapes
everywhere?

Kai