Re: Release process, syncing with Emacs

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Release process, syncing with Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:54:50 +0200

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So your suggestion is to merge Tramp bugfixes into Emacs CVS right
>> away, without waiting for a new 2.0.x version?
>
> In case the problem itself has been found in Emacs CVS. Otherwise, it
> doesn't harm to wait for the next Tramp release merged into Emacs CVS.

Oh, okay.  So it works like this: when the Emacs folks find a Tramp
bug, then it is fixed on trunk, merged into stable, and committed to
Emacs.

When a stable release it ready, it is merged with Emacs.

This sounds like a useful plan.

> For XEmacs it might be not applicable because Tramp is offered as
> package there (which should correspond to a Tramp release). But I have
> no idea how Tramp packages are prepared for XEmacs. It doesn't seem to
> happen anymore; the latest Tramp package for XEmacs is 2.0.36, which
> is one year old.

One can check out the XEmacs package tree, and then update the working
copy there.  (I have an account to do this.)  The actual package
building happens by the corresponding XEmacs package guru, which is
currently Norbert I think.

So it is me who hasn't done anything in the past year :-(

Kai