Re: tramp (2.1.1-pre); scp asking for password more than once

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.1-pre); scp asking for password more than once
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:38:32 +0200

"emacs user" <address@hidden> writes:

> when trying to actually copy a file using "C" in dired showing remote
> system, I am prompts again for password.  this seems unnecessary as
> password was already provided once.

Tramp does not store passwords.  Or rather, it did not until very
recently.  I think the new password cache feature is not present in
2.0.x (2.0 is the stable branch), you'll need a recentish 2.1.x (2.1
is the development branch), or perhaps even the CVS version.

Please note that storing passwords in Emacs is a security issue.

Also investigate the ssh-agent feature which allows you to have ssh
store passwords (passphrases, rather) in a secure way.

Kai