Re: Erratum: App Note: Installing Tramp on Fedora (and probably Red Hat)

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Erratum: App Note: Installing Tramp on Fedora (and probably Red Hat)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:10:48 -0600

Sorry to take so long to reply.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 07:10:23AM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Charles Curley <address@hidden> writes:

> >> - Info files should go directly to "/usr/share"? I would expect
> >>   something like "/usr/share/info" at least.
> >
> > Again, same thing. They end up in "/usr/share/info/tramp".
>
> Nope. If you say explicitely --infodir=DIR, it goes into DIR and no
> other subdirectory. In your case, you would need
> --infodir=/usr/share/info - but that's the default already if you have
> --prefix=/usr/share. So I assume just saying
>
> # ./configure --with-contrib --prefix=/usr/share

I re-ran the installation on a fresh machine.

I ran it like so:

./configure --with-contrib --prefix=/usr/share --infodir=/usr/share/info

and that worked correctly. So did your proposed line,

./configure --with-contrib --prefix=/usr/share

Can you automate this by having .configure detect the presence of
/etc/fedora-release or /etc/redhat-release? redhat-release is present
on non-Fedora installations, but may go away in future releases of
Fedora.