Re: tramp (2.1.1); tramp hangs on 'Setting shell prompt'

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.1); tramp hangs on 'Setting shell prompt'
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:43:50 +0100

Takashi Tsunakawa <address@hidden> writes:

> I also ran into the problem on the similar condition when I use tramp 2.1.2
> on Meadow 2.20, where *tramp/plink* is following:

[...]

> A command separator of Windows XP command prompt is not a semicolon (;)
> but two ampersands (&&), so I modified tramp.el as following:
>
> < "; echo \"Tramp\" \"connection\" \"closed\" ; sleep 1"))
>
>> "&& echo \"Tramp\" \"connection\" \"closed\" && sleep 1"))
>
> In my case, I succeed to connect to a remote host after this.
>
> I sent this message because this tip might help for the resolution,
> though I don't have a detailed knowledge of tramp.
> Excuse me for a sudden mail.

OK, I've changed the code that for the _first_ hop it uses "|| exit"
instead of the echo. Double ampersands are not applicable, because we
want to exit in an error case only. The string dumped by the echo
command was not recognized, I have no idea what's going on under
cmd.exe.

I've tested it shortly on a hijacked Windows XP machine; seems to be
OK. Maybe you or somebody else can crosscheck it; the change is
committed to Tramp CVS. If there are no objections, it will appear
with the next Tramp 2.1 release.

> Best regards,
>
> Takashi Tsunakawa

Thanx a lot for your report, and best regards, Michael.