Re: Tramp advises vc-workfile-unchanged-p, how to remove?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp advises vc-workfile-unchanged-p, how to remove?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:35:41 +0200

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 14:54 +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> I've taken a look at the advice of vc-workfile-unchanged-p.  It seems
>> to me that it was originally introduced because VC looked at the
>> modification timestamps of the files involed.  Did VC do that in
>> earlier releases, Andre?
>>
>> Now, it seems that the workfile-unchanged-p operation is implemented
>> by invoking diff.  The default implementation should thus work more or
>> less out of the box for Tramp, as well.
>
> VC still does both: It does a diff, and if the diff says "no
> differences", then VC remembers the time stamp of the file so that it
> need not diff the file again unless the time stamp changes.

I overlooked the timestamp logic.  Hm.

The problem is that Tramp is not always able to obtain precise
timestamps of files.  As you may know, it logs into a remote system
(using ssh or telnet or something like this), and then it issues
commands at the remote shell prompt.  For finding the timestamp of the
file, "ls -l" might be all that's available, and "ls -l" does not
print very precise timestamps.  (Tramp tries to find Perl on the
remote system.  If Perl is found, it is used in lieu of "ls -l" to
obtain precise timestamps.)

So what I need is a way to turn off the timestamp logic for some Tramp
files.  Is there a way to do this?

Kai