accleration of file transfers

From: Haines Brown
Subject: accleration of file transfers
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:46:10 -0400 (EDT)

I'm running debian sarge with tramp/ssh. I notice an odd behavior
about which I'd appreciate some advice.

When files are being uploaded to a server, there is a regular time
spacing between each file, perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. However, if I move
my mouse over the emacs window, the speed suddenly about doubles, and
with the time of file upload being a function of the file size.

When I'm moving a hundred files, this difference become very
significant. It seems I have to move the mouse pointer back and forth
several times before tramp kicks into high gear.

Can anyone explain this? It also happened on an older box with sarge,
a serial vs. usb mouse, and perhaps an older version of tramp.

Is there any configuration that might reliably give the faster upload
rate?

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM