Re: tramp (2.1.4); Corrupted files with syntax highliting

From: Douglas K. Rand
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.4); Corrupted files with syntax highliting
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:39:21 -0600

Doug> Here's your debug buffer with syntax highliting enabled:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon about it being related to syntax
highliting. I edited and saved a file many times with highliting
turned off and after about 5 saves it would produce a corrupted
file. With highliting turned on it only takes one or two saves. But it
happens regardless.

Michael> Could you, please, set `tramp-chunksize' to 500 manually, and
Michael> rerun the test? And maybe you even decrease the value step by
Michael> step. A comment in tramp.el says that the critical value is
Michael> 624 for FreeBSD, but there might be other circumstances with
Michael> you.

I've tried values of tramp-chunksize from 700 down to 10, and all
values caused corrupted files. (I didn't re-start Emacs between
changes, simply did (setq tramp-chunksize <value>) and then modified
and saved the file.