Re: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:27:10 +0200

"Nelson E. Ingersoll" <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai,
>
>    Enabling ange-ftp by copying "3 statements" into my .emacs is hardly
> the same as simply typing '(setq tramp-default-method "ftp")' in .emacs,
> which is what I'd prefer doing, or using the "M-x tramp-unload-tramp"
> command.  And such is especially not obvious when the documentation is
> unequivocal that all I need do is "M-x tramp-unload-tramp" to completely
> unload Tramp.

The Tramp documentation is a little bit short in explaining the
differences of the 2 commands. I'll add an explanation.

In short: (setq tramp-default-method "ftp") keeps Tramp running, but
passes all commands to Ange-FTP. "M-x tramp-unload-tramp" removes the
package, and reenables Ange-FTP directly in `file-name-handler-alist'.