Re: compiling remote rst files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: compiling remote rst files
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:56:01 +0100

Hans Halvorson <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael,

Hi Hans,

> If I start the Wanderlust mail reader from within a remote buffer
> opened with Tramp, then it hangs -- it seems to get confused about
> which files to open.  (But Wanderlust should be checking IMAP and NNTP
> folders, it has nothing to do with ssh and should not call Tramp at
> all.)

This problem is due to Tramp's current implementation of running
processes on remote hosts. `start-process' and `call-process' have
been adviced, so that every process is executed on a remote host once
`default-directory' is a remote path.

Wanderlust (and other packages, like gnus) have a problem with this,
because their processes shall run always locally. A workaround is to
call them only from buffers with local files, or to bind a key like
this (untested):

(global-set-key
 [f2] '(lambda (&optional arg)
         (interactive "P")
         (let ((default-directory "~/")) (wl arg))))

When Emacs 22 is released, I plan to discuss with the maintainers for
a smoother solution.