Re: tramp listing switches

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp listing switches
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:03:11 +0100

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> Following your suggestion, I add these
>
> (add-hook 'dired-before-readin-hook 'sdl:test)
> (defun sdl:test ()
>   (let ((path default-directory))
>       (when (file-remote-p path)
>         (set-buffer (cdr (assoc path dired-buffers)))
>         (set (make-local-variable 'dired-listing-switches) "-al"))))
>
> [[.. it does not work ..]]

I just peeked at the code, and found this in dired.el (function
dired-readin):

      ;; This hook which may want to modify dired-actual-switches
      ;; based on dired-directory, e.g. with ange-ftp to a SysV host
      ;; where ls won't understand -Al switches.
      (run-hooks 'dired-before-readin-hook)

And, indeed, dired-readin calls dired-readin-insert, which in turn
references dired-actual-switches, not dired-listing-switches.

I guess that the comment really means it when it says "modify" --
probably the value of dired-actual-switches differs based on context,
so you'll need to write code to modify it, not just set it to a
constant value every time.

Does that help?

Kai