Re: tramp (2.1.8-pre); can't connect to remote Solaris or Linux system r

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.8-pre); can't connect to remote Solaris or Linux system running zsh
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:13:02 -0500

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:43:02 +0100 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I put just this in my .zshrc:
>>
>> unsetopt zle
>>
>> with this result in the Tramp SSH buffer:
>>
>> Last login: Tue Feb 20 16:01:53 2007 from dhcp-65-302.ken
>> %prod-perf-db01%

MA> This prompt still doesn't fit tramp-shell-prompt-pattern, which is
MA> used for identifying shell prompts. The regexp doesn't accept two
MA> percent chars in the prompt; see "C-h v tramp-shell-prompt-pattern".

MA> Either you change the regexp, or you continue to play with zsh prompt
MA> setting. Unfortunately, I cannot help too much; I'm a zsh rookie.

The problem is that this is the default zsh prompt.  Even if I fix it
for myself, it may still break for everyone else in the future.  Do
you want to put a fix in CVS, adjust the FAQ, or just leave things as
they are?

It actually looks to me like the Tramp shell pattern by default does
match two % signs.  After experimenting, the shell pattern doesn't
match the actual prompt in the Tramp interaction, but matches the
string I see in the log:

(string-match tramp-shell-prompt-pattern
"^[[1m^[[7m%^[[m^[[1m^[[mprod-perf-db01%")
-> 0

so I'm not sure where the problem is.  Note that ^[ above is actually
C-q ESC.  I can't tell you why zsh is sending ANSI escapes to a dumb
terminal.

My fix, which you could put in the FAQ, is to just do:

[ $TERM = "dumb" ] && setopt NO_zle && PS1=""

which works.

Ted