Re: Tramp 2.1.9

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.1.9
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:42:56 +0200

Pete Forman <address@hidden> writes:

> 5) remote shell discovery
>
> With hindsight fixing tramp-shell-prompt-pattern might have got me
> going sooner.  The default shell on my UNIX accounts is tcsh and it
> has codes to set the prompt and xterm title.  My Korn and Bash
> environments are quieter.  It would be nice if we could skip the auto
> discovery and issue "plink ... env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh -i" or whatever
> as the first remote command.  This could involve splitting each hop
> into a local and remote spec.  The remote part could default to
> discovery to keep existing behavior.

Does it work to add a method plinkx similar to sshx and scpx that does
this?

Once upon a time, Tramp used this method by default, but then I
stopped using it...  Hm.  Ah!  Part of the reason is certainly that
Tramp can log in via methods that do not allow you to specify a
command on the remote end, e.g. telnet.  Whether that is the full
reason, I'm not sure.

Kai