Re: intermittent tramp operation.

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: intermittent tramp operation.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:38:44 -0400

Michael Albinus wrote:
"Eric S. Johansson" <address@hidden> writes:

Which Tramp version are you using?
2.0.55

That's 5 months old. How came it in? With Emacs 22.1? I'm asking
because you've said in a previous message

No it didn't come with Emacs. I'm using the last beta before official release of whatever the current version of Emacs is. I should probably upgrade that as well. I downloaded trial separately at about the same time. You have to remember, I don't upgrade frequently. Want to find something that works with speech recognition, I tend to stay with it just because changing it always makes my life more miserable in the short-term and I don't like it when my hands hurt up to my shoulders.

I haven't changed Emacs
I haven't changed putty

However, we shall find what causes the high load. You might set initially

(setq debug-on-quit t)

When Emacs is working heavy (but still reacting), please press "^G".
This shall result in a backtrace for further analysis.

I don't think I said it was a high load (and if I did, I apologize) what I believe said was multiple applications lock up. Emacs locks up, my target virtual machine locks up and I don't remember what else but I think there may be one or two other items that do so as well. If I kill off Emacs, the virtual machine starts running well again. I'm beginning to wonder if there might be something wrong with the tun adaptors or Windows ethernet in general?

I've tried hitting ^g when Emacs was not responding and nothing happened which again leads me to believe it's probably further down. another data point is this morning when my e-mail server was running backups and not responding quickly, my e-mail client was not responding to anything for a few seconds and then it would respond okay.

I do wish the wine folks could make NaturallySpeaking work on Linux. that would make my life easier in some ways (and harder in others :-)