Re: Tramp completion doesn't work like ange-ftp

From: Matthew Donaldson
Subject: Re: Tramp completion doesn't work like ange-ftp
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:06:18 +0930

Hi Michael,

Had system problems, so was only able to try this out today. This turns on the tramp-style <protocol>: abbreviations, but still doesn't let me do completions the way ange-ftp did. I want to be able to complete based on the path I used to access the file.

So say I opened a file on a server using the path
/address@hidden:/public_html/myfile.txt

Now I'm editing some local file and I want to open myfile2.txt in the remote folder at a later stage. Under ange-ftp, at the find-file: prompt I could type in (e.g.) "/user<TAB>" and the completion would search through the file paths of all the buffers (taken at face value) and find /address@hidden:/public_html/ as a folder, and complete it for me. This saved a lot of hostname and pathname typing. I can't seem to do this with tramp. Typing "/user<TAB>" gives me no completions. Maybe it's being cleverer than I want and trying to interpret the path?

Cheers

                -Matthew

Michael Albinus wrote:
Matthew Donaldson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

Hi,

If I opened a file /address@hidden:/fred.txt, then I could /f<TAB> and
get /address@hidden:/ coming up as a completion.  Tramp doesn't seem to
do this, and even after unloading it, the old ange-behaviour seems to
work only occasionally.

How can I get this type of completion happening?

You must enable partial completion mode before loading Tramp. See the
Tramp manual (info "(tramp)Filename completion")

Cheers

             -Matthew

Best regards, Michael

| Matthew Donaldson             http://www.datadeliverance.com             |
| Data Deliverance Pty. Ltd.    Email: address@hidden         |
| 30 Musgrave Ave.              Phone: +61 8 8265 7976            _        |
| Banksia Park                  Fax:   +61 8 8265 0032     John  / \/      |
| South Australia 5091                                     3:16  \_/\      |