Re: File Encoding Problem

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: File Encoding Problem
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:02:46 +0200

"Charles Gordon" <address@hidden> writes:

> There is a version of perl on the remote host (which is a company host, so I
> can't really change the default perl version) that would work. I've added it
> to tramp-remote-path, but that puts it at the start of the path, and tramp
> searches backwards through the results, so it still gets /usr/bin/perl every
> time.

No, adding a directory to `tramp-remote-path' works as exepected; the
path is added at the beginning. You can apply

     (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/usr/local/perl/bin")

BUT: Tramp caches several information from the remote host, including
the Perl location. You will see this in the file "~/.emacs.d/tramp".

In order to recompute the Perl location, you must clean up the hash.
Either you remove "~/.emacs.d/tramp" _before_ starting Emacs, or
_after_ opening a directory on the remote host you evaluate

     (clrhash tramp-cache-data)

You need to do it only once. When Tramp has computed the correct Perl
path, it will reuse it next time you start Emacs. "~/.emacs.d/tramp"
is written exiting Emacs.