Re: default-directory and file-name-all-completions

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: default-directory and file-name-all-completions
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:15:31 +0200

Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear tramp-devel:

Hi,

> I can repeat this bug by visiting a remote file over tramp, and
> then evaluating in that buffer the sexp
>
>   (file-name-all-completions "Splus" ".")
>
> This seems to be a bug, but I'm not sure what the best way to solve it
> is.  Of course, for our application, we can always just add a check to
> not call file-name-all-completions when the directory to check looks
> like a tramp dir.  But I thought I'd mention this in case anyone had a
> cleaner way to solve this problem.

I can reproduce the problem here. The point is that the way you call
file-name-all-completions, it doesn't reach Tramp. Whether Tramp is
involved or not is decided by the DIRECTORY parameter of
file-name-all-completions. It shall be expanded before that check, but
it isn't - I would say it is an error in file-name-all-completions.

However, you can solve it very simply. Apply

  (file-name-all-completions "Splus" default-directory)

This is equivalent to your call, and it does the right thing.