Re: tramp (2.0.52); Saving files changes ownership

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.52); Saving files changes ownership
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:41:09 +0100

Gilles Pion <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Gilles,

> I've now removed from site-lisp my old tramp 2.1.11 which was hiding 2.1.12
> . Everything seems to work ok regarding files modes.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that it works for you.

In fact, Tramp releases shall be the most recent version to be
used. Since Tramp 2.1 has been introduced in GNU Emacs CVS last
summer, we have a period of stabilization where changes in GNU Emacs
CVS (and Tramp CVS, of course) might be more recent. I expect this
will be finished by end of this year, that we can go back to
synchronize GNU Emacs CVS only with released Tramp versions.

The same stabilization period might happen when XEmacs' package
repository upgrades to Tramp 2.1. But this is stalled due to Tramp's
GPLv3 licence XEmacs does not accept yet.