Re: tramp 2.1.11 completion list force refresh

From: Thomas S. Chin
Subject: Re: tramp 2.1.11 completion list force refresh
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:25:24 -0500

Michael Albinus wrote:
Tramp cannot handle keystrokes, because it is not involved in this. And
it wouldn't be a good idea if Tramp would do its own handling there,
given the number of different packages which provide file name
completion on their own way (f.e. pcomplete.el, ido.el, icicles.el).

Tramp can only do some actions inside file-name-all-completions, which
is called by all these packages. The following patch flushes the
directory cache, if the last file name completion happened more than
10" before. This shall be sufficient, I hope.

Could you, please, test the appended patch whether it is acceptable?

Hi Micheal,

The patch did not succeed automatically. I downloaded 2.1.11 from gnu.org and maybe the version differs from your 2.1.11. In my version, I do not have the following line:

        (with-parsed-tramp-file-name (expand-file-name directory) nil

Instead, I had the following line:

        (with-parsed-tramp-file-name directory nil

Regardless, I incorporated the patch manually, and everything seems to work. This is definitely an acceptable solution (10 second delay).

Thank you for your assistance again.

thom