Re: tramp (2.1.15); local and remote passwords both wanted

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.15); local and remote passwords both wanted
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:45:02 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Tramp wants both local and remote passwords which are separated by
> control-Ms for sp.red-bean.com
>     (find-file "/ssh:address@hidden:~bob/" nil)
>
> I used not to have this problem and it does not occur at present with
> (find-file "/ssh:address@hidden:~bob/" nil)
>
> I can connect to sanpietro using ssh in a BASH shell:
>
>      $ ssh -l bob sp.red-bean.com
>     Enter passphrase for key '/home/bob/.ssh/id_rsa':
>     address@hidden's password:
>     Linux sanpietro 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 27 04:02:59 UTC 2009 x86_64

This means, that first you have to enter the *passphrase* your local ssh
password store is protected with. Afterwards, you have to enter the
remote *password* of sanpietro.

Tramp shall ask you *twice*, once for the passphrase, once for the password.

> Evidently, it requires a key for /home/bob/.ssh/id_rsa.
> (I have put in the local password with ssh-add.  I use sanpietro for
> occasional testing, so I may have reported this bug late.)
>
> *tramp/ssh address@hidden says
>
>     Enter passphrase for key '/home/bob/.ssh/id_rsa':
>     Enter passphrase for key '/home/bob/.ssh/id_rsa':
>     Enter passphrase for key '/home/bob/.ssh/id_rsa':

It looks to me, like you have entered three times the wrong
*passphrase*. Haven't you?

What did Tramp ask (in the prompt), and what did you enter?

(Unfortunately, I cannot see too much in the traces, because due to
security reasons most password actions are filtered out by Tramp)