Re: editing a file on a remote host as root

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: editing a file on a remote host as root
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:24:07 +0100

Chris Withers <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Wow. Why was a nice clear and obvious syntax replaced with a bunch of
>>> mess in config files?
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/5883
>
> Interesting, what stopped you adding the new proxies stuff while
> keeping something like the old syntax working?

Too hard to implement. Even today's syntax is already too ambigous. If
you enter "C-x C-f /ssh: <TAB>" - what do you believe "ssh" stands for?
A method? A host name?

With the old multi-hop syntax, things are even worse.

>> Let's try it. Seriously, I offer to support you.
>
> OK, but I'll need to wait for a newer version of Aquamacs or a way to
> install a new version of Tramp on Aquamacs 1.9 on Mac OS X...

I've never used Aquamacs. However, Tramp can be installed
independently. You just need to extend your load-path at the end.

> ...until then, I guess I should be able to use the old tramp syntax on
> my current Aquamacs version?

"Old" syntax is with Tramp 2.0, "new" syntax is with Tramp 2.1. If you
check the Tramp version in Aquamacs, you can decide.