Re: Weird behaviour when entering the filename

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Weird behaviour when entering the filename
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:58:56 +0100

Francis Moreau <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi,

> I checked and uuencode/uudecode are not installed, they've been
> probably disabled during the busybux configuration.
>
> FYI, perl is not installed either.

Tramp checks for the following methods for encoding/decoding (see
`tramp-remote-coding-commands'):

((b64 "base64" "base64 -d")
 (b64 "mimencode -b" "mimencode -u -b")
 (b64 "mmencode -b" "mmencode -u -b")
 (b64 "recode data..base64" "recode base64..data")
 (b64 tramp-perl-encode-with-module tramp-perl-decode-with-module)
 (b64 tramp-perl-encode tramp-perl-decode)
 (uu "uuencode xxx" "uudecode -o /dev/stdout")
 (uu "uuencode xxx" "uudecode -o -")
 (uu "uuencode xxx" "uudecode -p")
 (uu "uuencode xxx" tramp-uudecode)
 (pack "perl -e 'binmode STDIN; binmode STDOUT; print pack(q{u*}, join q{},
<>)'" "perl -e 'binmode STDIN; binmode STDOUT; print unpack(q{u*}, join q{},
<>)'"))

If none of the commands base64, mimencode, mmencode, recode, uuencode,
perl are available on your remote device, Tramp cannot apply file
copying. You can see directory listings, and you can call remote
processes in a limited manner, but that's it.

If you find another command in your busybox, which safely transforms
files binary <-> ascii, I will add it to Tramp happily.

Btw, I've checked the code in Tramp, where it looks for encoding/
decoding commands. In case it doesn't find any, Tramp raises a warning,
which could be overseen. I've changed that to an error.

Sorry, and best regards, Michael.