Re: Unable to open or save remote files using Tramp.

From: Santosh Navale
Subject: Re: Unable to open or save remote files using Tramp.
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 19:49:43 -0500

Hi Michael,

Do I need to point emacs to the local tramp by setting load-path? The INSTALL in the tar package says 'make install' will install the files in the corresponding location (/usr/local/...). I am a bit confused. Can you clarify.

Thanks
Santosh

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Santosh Navale <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Santosh,

> I had a look in that place but I found only byte executable files. As
> tramp has come as a built-in, I am guessing I am missing the source
> code.

Usually, your distribution (GNU/Linux?) offers also source packages,
which you could use.

> Can I can download the tramp.el and ask emacs to use this
> downloaded tramp instead of the builtin. Is this possible. Could you
> tell me how to achieve this.

Maybe the best is to install Tramp 2.2 in parallel, and let the
load-path point to this. Take <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tramp/tramp-2.2.1.tar.gz>
and follow the instructions in INSTALL (don't forget to patch tramp.el :-)