Re: tramp (2.2.3-pre); [Feature Request] Use winexe to execute shell com

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.3-pre); [Feature Request] Use winexe to execute shell commands on windows
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 08:56:27 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

>> What I don't understand is the relationship to Samba 4. Will it be part
>> of Samba 4, in the future? Or will there be something different in Samba
>> 4, with the same functionality?
>
> I wish I knew.  I _think_ it just uses a bunch of the samba 4
> infrastructure, but I could be wrong.

There was a winexe in the Debian/Ubuntu package wmi-client. It isn't
available in the official repositories any longer, see
<http://www.mikepalmer.net/archives/134>:

"The old wmi-client package that used to be in debian was pulled due to
 the forked/branched nature of the source code as well as the idea that
 something better could be implemented with the upcoming Samba4 release."

Btw, if I try to connect with winexe towards the laptop of my wife (Win7
Home), I get an error. Does it need Win 7 Pro on the remote side? Samba?
Special admin rights?