Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:21:47 +0100

Chris Withers <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Chris,

>> I want to give you the possiblity to type an ad-hoc proxies when
>> specifying a remote file name, without that proxy being a part of the
>> remote file name. Sounds more complex than it is :-)
>>
>> It shall *feel* like the old multi hops, but it is implemented differently.
>
> That would be fantastic. If you have any prototypes you'd like me to
> try out, please let me know!

I have committed a patch to the Tramp repository which should offer
ad-hoc proxy definition. It looks similar like the old multi-method,
but with a slightly changed syntax. And the proxy isn't part of the
remote filename for the buffer and default-directory etc.

The syntax looks like "/ssh:address@hidden|sudo:address@hidden:/some/file".

Note, that this patch breaks filename completion in the minibuffer for
the time being. I'll fix it next days, and I'll extend the also
documentation.