Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:40:54 +0100

Chris Withers <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi,

> Okay, I gave 2.2.4-pre (ie: CVS trunk) a go following the above
> instructions.
>
> With ido-mode enabled, I got:
>
> apply: Args out of range: "/sudo:root@", 26, 11
>
> ...part way through typing a path.

I haven't tested it with ido (yet). Will do.

> I turned ido-mode off, and then typed a full path:
>
> /ssh:address@hidden|sudo:address@hidden:~/
>
> ...before hitting tab, which, for each hit of tab, dumped the
> following two lines:
>
> Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...done
> Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...done
>
> I then changed ~/ to a specific file path that didn't exist, but tramp
> then just sat spinning with:
>
> Tramp: opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...
>
> ...until I git C-G to cancel.
>
> Any ideas?

The usual medicine:

(setq tramp-verbose 10)

Send the Tramp debug buffer after running the test.

> Chris

Best regards, Michael.

PS: you might apply "cvs up" from time to time. I'm still working on
this; yesterday evening I've applied a patch for method / user name /
host name completion.