Re: [BUG] TRAMP 2.1.20: "uudecode -o /dev/stdout" check

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [BUG] TRAMP 2.1.20: "uudecode -o /dev/stdout" check
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:01:21 +0100

Dmitry Kurochkin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael.

Hi Dmitry,

> It is possible that the command TRAMP uses for decoding was just
> removed.  What would happen then?  As I understand, TRAMP would print an
> error that write failed because the command would fail.  But at the same
> time it would wipe out the file because output is done via a
> redirection.

Indeed. However, I've never heard about such a situation all the years
I'm using Tramp. And there is still the backup file which could be moved
back, isn't it?

> Another (and probably better) option may be to add "which command &&" or
> similar to all decoders.

Maybe. But there are also other dangerous commands in  Tramp, which must
be protected then. Isn't this overcautious?

> BTW if TRAMP finds that remote encoder/decoder fails, does it start
> checking for a working encoder/decoder again?

There are situations, Tramp cleans up its whole cache (for example, when
a connection has been broken). And there are the `tramp-cleanup-*'
commands, which give the user the same mean, interactively.