Re: Find-file at point cannot manage tramp file syntax

From: Stéphane Senesi
Subject: Re: Find-file at point cannot manage tramp file syntax
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:40:37 +0200

Michael Albinus wrote, On 07/08/2012 11:12:
Stéphane Senesi<address@hidden>  writes:

I investigated further. The problem only appears when the path close
to the point is either an absolute path or a path with a tilde ~ :
     - using 'emacs -Q', ffap erroneously (?) tries to find the file on
the local machine, and hence, for the case of an absolute path,
proposes to truncate the file path to the longest one which matches
the local file system
What happens, if you apply (require 'tramp) before?

The same happens (still with '-Q')
Relative paths are OK

     - using my settings, I get the behaviour described above

When discarding from my settings the "(require 'ange-ftp)" that was
intended to allow for :
     (setq ange-ftp-skip-msgs (concat ange-ftp-skip-msgs "\\|^500 This
security scheme is not implemented"))
I am back to the 'emacs -Q' behaviour
That makes it clear. ange-ftp.el adds its own file name handler, which
does not know of the method in the file name syntax. That's why it
interprets "rsh" as host.

So, I have only one question left : could/should tramp+ffap interpret
absolute and tilde path found at the point of a remote file as remote
paths ?
Yes. But maybe, you need to require Tramp first ...

Anyway, thanks for the hint on the method.

Stéphane

Stéphane Sénési
Ingénieur - équipe Assemblage du Système Terre
Centre National de Recherches Météorologiques
Groupe de Météorologie à Grande Echelle et Climat

CNRM/GMGEC/ASTER
42 Av Coriolis
F-31057 Toulouse Cedex 1

+33.5.61.07.99.31 (Fax :....9610)