Re: Access to repository-side files in version control repositories

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Access to repository-side files in version control repositories
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 15:50:07 +0200

Randy Yates <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Randy,

>> If you have opened a file under version control [...]
>
> But that's just it - you can't. At least I've not seen a way to open a
> file on a repository using emacs and the "standard" packages. Not
> directly.
> I know you meant a file in your working copy, but that sorta brings out
> my point - what if you don't have a working copy of the repo? What if
> you do but you don't want to have to visit a wc file first, then open
> the repository-side file? What if your wc file has nothing to do with
> the repository-side file you want to open?

Tramp does not handle repositories. All it can do is supporting vc.el,
which operates over "working copies".

> Sure, I could check the file out into a wc, then visit the file, but
> that's like saying you could scp a file over, then edit it - who needs
> tramp?
>
> In other words, there are great advantages doing this using the standard
> visit-file mechanism of emacs, not the least of which is convenience,
> but in this case much more.
>
> Let me tell you where I'm going with this. If tramp provided the
> requested functionality, then this would greatly enrich ediff. I could
> directly ediff two files on a repository. In my work (and I think many
> others'), this would be EXTREMELY useful.

vc.el has great support in working over revisions. You can apply "M-x
ediff-revision", which does exactly what you want. And Tramp lets you
apply this command also for "remote working copies", if you're
interested in. Or you apply it for your local working copy, and vc.el
brings you the different revisions behind the scenes.

What do I miss?