Re: tramp-send-string doens't send end-of-line ?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-send-string doens't send end-of-line ?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:40:06 +0100

Stéphane Sénési <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear all, and Michael

Hi Stéphane,

> From what appears in my tramp debug buffer (with verbosity level 6),
> it looks like there is no "end-of-line" character sent by
> tramp-send-string. I tried to add one in the argument to
> tramp-send-string, namely writing :
>     (tramp-send-string vec "abcd\n" )
> or even,
>     (tramp-send-string vec "abcd\nefgh\n" )
> In that last case, the tramp-buffer will show :
>     abcdefgh

`tramp-send-string' performs two actions wrt end of line:

- It replaces all occurences of "\n" with `tramp-rsh-end-of-line'. This
  is a noop on Unices, because `tramp-rsh-end-of-line' is "\n" there.

- It checks, whether the string finishes with `tramp-rsh-end-of-line'.
  If not, it appends it.

The string sent by `tramp-send-string' is always traced in the debug
buffer, when you set `tramp-verbose' to 10. The *trailing* newline of
that string is not visible there, for formatting reasons.

I've checked this in Tramp 2.2, but I don't remember it has changed
since 2.1.