Re: tramp performance on localhost

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: tramp performance on localhost
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 20:27:20 +0100

> It is always a target of Tramp to improve performance. If you could
> contribute code, you're really welcome!

I will have a look when I have time if I can help on this.

> Tramp caches file attributes. However, the cache expires. If you keep
> the cache persistent, you get:
>
> (setq tramp-completion-reread-directory-timeout nil
>       remote-file-name-inhibit-cache nil)
>
> => test-tramp     1           8.536997187   8.536997187
>
> You see, it makes a big difference. Unfortunately, this cannot be the
> default.

Hmm, it make a big difference yes, but 8s still slow, the goal should
be to be <= 1s.
However as a first step maybe what could be done instead of using the
two vars above (on localhost only) would be using libnotify to check if
something have changed in a directory, (I don't know though if this is
portable enough) if Yes remove this directory entry from the cache
(I don't know yet how is your cache) if No do nothing (keep the cache).

--
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: