Re: Tramp 24.4: /usr/bin/id: cannot find name for group ID

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp 24.4: /usr/bin/id: cannot find name for group ID
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 15:46:04 +0100

Emanuele Tomasi <address@hidden> writes:

> I have updated Emacs to version 24.4. When I try to open remote file
> with tramp I get this error:
> ---
> Tramp: Inserting `/ssh:remotehost:/remotedir/remotefile.sh'...failed
> byte-code: `/usr/bin/id -gn | sed -e s/^/\"/ -e s/$/\"/' does not
> return a valid
> Lisp expression: `/usr/bin/id: cannot find name for group ID 20002
> "20002"
> '
> ---

Well, reading the code of `tramp-get-remote-gid', it looks that Tramp has
stronger checks now. That might be the reason, that you see the error.

> If I run "/usr/bin/id -gn" on remote host I have:
> ---
> /usr/bin/id: cannot find name for group ID 20002
> 20002
> ---

Well, it looks like there is a problem on your remote host. Why couldn't
"id" determine the name of your gid 20002?

> With Emacs 24.3 I could open that files.

Because of weaker checks. I'm not fully decided, whether we shall return
a dummy group name like "nobody", if the name cannot be determined
remotely. This could result in further problems, I fear.

Anyway, there might be a workaround. The group name is cached in Tramp,
and you could predefine its value like this:

     (add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
                  (list (regexp-quote "/ssh:remotehost:")
                        "gid-string" "myfakedvalue"))

See also the Tramp manual about "Predefined connection information".