Re: Installing from source on Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Installing from source on Windows
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:55:56 +0200

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Nikolay,

> Hello. Just want to report a couple of minor mostly documentation
> issues concerning installation of tramp from sources on windows.

Thanks for the report! Since I don't run MS Windows by myself, I could
only perform a check on the sources. Both proposals by you are OK.

> 1. INSTALL text file suggests running configure on windows like this:
> ./configure --with-lispdir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/site-lisp'
> --infodir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/info'
> The problem is that the ever since 24.4 site-lisp and info location
> changed like this:
> ./configure --with-lispdir='C:/Program
> Files/Emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp' --infodir='C:/Program
> Files/Emacs/share/info'
> So maybe, this should be noted in INSTALL, since I always forget about
> this change and then try using old folders.

I've changed it in both INSTALL and texi/trampinst.texi, leaving the
syntax for Emacsen prior 24.4.

> 2.  Info won't install because install-info struggles with windows
> path format. This is the command that fails:
> install-info --quiet --info-dir=c:/Program Files/Emacs/share/info/
> c:/Program Files/Emacs/share/info/tramp;
> I've found 2 ways of fixing it. First is to remove ";" from that
> command in the makefile, but I'm not sure whether there's some
> specific need for it.
> Alternatively this can be fixed by changing ./configure --infodir to a
> tool-specific path format:
> cygwin: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Emacs/share/info
> mingw/msys: /c/Program Files/Emacs/share/info

The ";" looks superfluous. I've removed it from Makefile.in, it still
runs proper on GNU/Linux. So I've commited this patch also. If there are
problems on other platforms, we will see reports.