Re: tramp simplified syntax and ido interaction

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp simplified syntax and ido interaction
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 09:58:31 +0200

Robert Pluim <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Robert,

sorry for the late reply, I found just now a free time slot for checking.

> I'm using emacs master. I wanted to try out tramp's simplified syntax,
> but this has a bad interaction with ido which I also use. I tracked it
> down to ido-make-file-list, which does not handle empty strings in its
> potential completion list. It's not clear to me if this is an ido or a
> tramp bug, but one potential fix is attached.

Looks to me like an ido bug.

> Reproduction from emacs -Q :
>
> ; Eval this form
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(ido-everywhere t)
>  '(ido-max-dir-file-cache 10)
>  '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))
>  '(ido-use-filename-at-point (quote guess))
> )
> ; find a file using normal tramp syntax, then eval the next two lines
> (tramp-change-syntax 'simplified)
> (setq debug-on-error t)
> ; C-x C-f /f

I could reproduce it locally, thanks for the report! AFAICS your patch
is OK, except the following line I had to change (use double backslash
in regexps):

> +             (lambda (x) (if (string-match "^\\." x) x))

I've committed your patch to Emacs master.

I've seen there were already other small patches from you in Emacs
master. I haven't counted, but I assume they do not exceed yet the 15
lines limit patches are accepted without signed papers.

If you're interested to submit further patches to Emacs, I recommend you
to sign the FSF legal papers. Just ping me in case of, or write to
address@hidden