Re: password caching not working as hoped on remote machine

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: password caching not working as hoped on remote machine
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 12:03:47 +0200

Craig Hicks <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Craig,

> Then, when I want to sudo I need to give the password for
> address@hidden, as expected and desired.
> However, emacs doesn't seem to remember that password and periodically
> I have to reenter it.

How do you connect via sudo? The classical short file name, "/sudo::"?

> (3)
> A partial workaround is to connect to "machine" via tramp in sudo
> mode:
>
>     dired /ssh:address@hidden|sudo:user:/home/user

This looks weird. "/sudo:user:" means to collect the machine "user" as
user "root". If you want to connect as user "user", you shall use
"/sudo:user@:"

> What I have tried so far:
>
> (1) Corespond with eamacs developer Micheal Albinus on stackexchange
> emacs
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/40902/emacs-password-cache-not-working-as-hoped

Indeed. And here I am :-)

> (2) Download dev version of tramp from git and put it in load path.
> Unfortunately initialization failed.

That's a side track, but maybe you show how it fails.

> (3) Download entire emacs dev version from git and try to compile it.
> Unfortunately configuration failed.

Again, how does it fail?

> (4) Look at emacs dev history.
> I saw Micheal Albinus modified tramp on June 12, 2017 to deal with
> password caching on remote systems.
>
> I would like to enquire whether Micheal Albinus' password cache
> modifications are already in emacs 25.3.

No, they are contained in the upcoming Emacs 26.1.

> If not, then I would like to try patching my version in the simplest
> way possible.  What would be best?

Try the changed syntax I've recommended above. If this doesn't work,
show how Tramp from the development fails, and let's fix it
together. Afterwards, we could investigate your problem on recent sources.