Re: emacs-version "26.1" not compatible with newest tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-version "26.1" not compatible with newest tramp
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:32:01 +0100

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dan,

> Now with Debian's emacs-version "26.1"
> the built in
> tramp-version "2.3.3.26.1"
> works. But if one wants to use a downloaded newer version,
> one will get
> *ERROR*: Symbol’s function definition is void: tramp-syntax-values
> My .emacs was
> https://www.jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.emacs

Which Tramp version are you using? And which command have you applied in
order to get that error message? Best would be a recipe, starting with
"emacs -Q".

Note, that I test every new Tramp version to be released with the
testsuite contained in test/tramp-tests.el with Emacs 24, 25, 26 and
27. No such error.

Note also, that I'm going to release Tramp 2.4.1 before the end of the
year. If there is such error indeed, I'd like to get it fixed prior releasing.

Thanks for your report, and best regards, Michael.