Re: tramp (2.3.5.26.2); Copy-paste of folder from Windows machine to Lin

From: Guillaume Demeyère
Subject: Re: tramp (2.3.5.26.2); Copy-paste of folder from Windows machine to Linux server does not work
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:40:19 +0200

Hello Michael,

> Hmm, it might be that at this point Tramp was not loaded yet. So it has
> been loaded, and the old function has overwritten the patched one ...

Well, I thought about that too, so just before sending my last e-mail, I went directly into tramp-sh.el, commented out tramp-inline-compress, and replaced it with the corrected version. Then I relaunched emacs -Q. It did not change anything.

I just tried what you suggested ( emacs -Q -l tramp -l tramp-sh, then setting tramp-inline-compress-start-size to nil). It does not work either, I still get the same error. Attached is tramp log.

Best regards,

Guillaume

Michael Albinus <address@hidden> escreveu no dia quarta, 10/07/2019 à(s) 10:13:
Guillaume Demeyère <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Guillaume,

> I tried to apply the correction, but I get the same error.
>
> To make sure I understand well the patch I need to apply, I attach to
> this message the corrected function tramp-find-inline-compress, which
> I updated with your diff.
> Prior to executing the exact same test as last message, I evaluated
> this function in my emacs -Q (through C-x C-e).

Hmm, it might be that at this point Tramp was not loaded yet. So it has
been loaded, and the old function has overwritten the patched one ...

> The test gives me the same error. Attached is the new tramp debug file
> I get.

It behaves like yesterday, that's why I believe the patch was not
active.

Anyway, I meanwhile believe Tramp should suppress compressing at all
when running on MS-Windows. Could you throw the patch away, and try the
following:

emacs -Q -l tramp -l tramp-sh

This loads tramp.el and tramp-sh.el. Afterwards, eval the following form
in *scratch*

(setq tramp-inline-compress-start-size nil)

Now everything will work fine, I hope.