Re: Faster start-file-process?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Faster start-file-process?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 18:02:12 +0100

Philipp Stephani <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Philipp,

> Thanks for looking into it!

I just want to tell you that my answer to you is on my todo. Due to
personal problems in my family, it might take some days until I'm able
to do. Sorry.

> This uses the current master of Tramp. All these results are
> statistically significant (on my machine, that is). I think at least
> start-file-process and make-process should definitely switch to the
> connectionless approach (or at least offer it as option), that would
> make language servers or Flymake backends over SSH possible.
> I'm also happy to contribute patches!

I plan to provide a detailed analysis what happens in Tramp when running
an asynchronous process. Based on this, we could discuss
improvements. With commit 4c3c175a63823d851c7e9326f4f70c81b9c0110e I've
done already a first step this direction.

Another vague idea is to change make-process to a kind of
"connection-less", and keep start-process as-it-is. Let's see how far we
go.