Re: Tramp and Flycheck/Flymake interaction

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and Flycheck/Flymake interaction
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 16:47:17 +0200

Dennis Proksch <dennis-proksch@web.de> writes:

> Dear Sir or Madam,

Hi Dennis,

> I posted this request on Stackoverflow and was recommended to you:
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/59941/flycheck-trouble-with-tramp-and-python-no-module-named-ssh-home-ubuntu-te.

Yes, it was me, who has redirected you to tramp-devel. Stackexchange has
its merits, but it isn't suited for debugging.

> Some help on the issue would be highly appreciated.

You're using Emacs 28.0.50, the latest one. Fine.

However, which flycheck.el and pyilint.el versions are you using? The
packages from MELPA?

I've played a little bit with your scenario, and finally, I could
reproduce your problem. Looking at the code of flycheck.el, it turns out
that it doesn't support remote processes. It calls `call-process' (shall
be `process-file'), and `start-process' (shall be `start-file-process').

Similar observations with pylint.el. It doesn't call any external
process. But its Tramp integration looks questionable. For example, it
uses (aref (tramp-dissect-file-name filename) 3) in order to determine
the local part of a remote file name. This might have worked 10 years
ago; these days one shall use (file-local-name filename) .

I recommend you contact the maintainers of both packages in order to
make them Tramp aware. In case of problems, <tramp-devel@gnu.org> is
still the address to ask for support.