Re: prompt has changed with an update

From: Thomas Walker Lynch
Subject: Re: prompt has changed with an update
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 16:20:11 +0200

Thanks Michael.  Looks like I should have gone to the Tramp manual, but I was confused.  It truly was working before.  It is tied into my dirtrack  and elsewhere so there is no way I could have confused that.  I also modify the prompt when entering projects by adding the project name.  I developed a lot of code using remote access through Tramp.  I also set an inside emacs environment variable in scripts.  RTFM time ... why every time I ask a question ...

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 2:42 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
Thomas Walker Lynch <thomas.lynch@reasoningtechnology.com> writes:

Hi Thomas,

>>> Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use
>>> dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.
>>
>> Thanks for the report. I need more data for analysis, though.
>>
>> - Which Emacs/Tramp version are you using? The Tramp version info is
>> needed only in case you don't use the built-in Tramp.
>
> GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.21, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-08-20

Thanks. The other message you've confirmed, that you are using the
builtin Tramp.

> Here is what the erroneous prompt looks like:
>
>     /sudo:root@localhost.localdomain:/root/ #$

This is what Tramp sets, indeed. I have been irritated by saying
"Recently my prompt has changed ...". This prompt is what Tramp does for
years. I've just checked, also in Emacs 26.3 this happens. I don't know
why this happens to you "recently" only.

> This is what the prompt should look like:
>
>     2020-09-23T15:53:09Z root@localhost§/home/morpheus§
>     #

Well, the Tramp manual tells you about. See (info "(tramp) Remote shell setup")

Interactive shell prompt

     TRAMP redefines the remote shell prompt internally for robust
     parsing.  This redefinition affects the looks of a prompt in an
     interactive remote shell through commands, such as ‘M-x shell
     <RET>’.  Such prompts, however, can be reset to something more
     readable and recognizable using these environment variables.

     TRAMP sets the ‘INSIDE_EMACS’ environment variable in the startup
     script file ‘~/.emacs_SHELLNAME’.

     ‘SHELLNAME’ is ‘bash’ or equivalent shell names.  Change it by
     setting the environment variable ‘ESHELL’ in the ‘.emacs’ as
     follows:

          (setenv "ESHELL" "bash")

     Then re-set the prompt string in ‘~/.emacs_SHELLNAME’ as follows:

          # Reset the prompt for remote TRAMP shells.
          if [ "${INSIDE_EMACS/*tramp*/tramp}" == "tramp" ] ; then
             PS1="[\u@\h \w]$ "
          fi

Honestly, I haven't tested these instructions for years. At least the
sentence "TRAMP sets the ‘INSIDE_EMACS’ ..." is nonsense; this variable
is changed somewhere else. But it sounds like a recipe you might go to
get your prompt. I will be happy for a response, whether it works as
documented for you (otherwise we need to adapt it).

> After step 4 the prompt will appear erroneously as noted above when
> emacs -Q was used.  Dirtrack will not be able to find it (and my
> transcript records will be messed up due to not having the UTC time
> stamps LOL)
>
> Note, this exact same thing happens when using tramp to open a remote
> shell.  Here is the erroneous prompt I get on my server when opening a
> remote shell:
>
>     /ssh:thomas_lynch@server:/home/thomas_lynch #$

This is not erroneously, but the expected prompt from Tramp pov.

> Thanks Michael et al.  I look forward to your reply, and apologize in
> advance if I've done something stupid here.  Though gosh, it did work.
>  I used it often, prompt was correct from the .bashrc and dirtrack
> worked etc.

This is what makes me wonder. What has changed in your config, that the
prompt you're used to see has disappeared? Maybe there *are* other
differences between Emacs 26.3 and 27.1 in this area, which I don't
remember ...

Anyway, what I have quoted above is the recommended way to fix
it. There's no Tramp guarantee, that your .bashrc settings keep
untouched.