Re: tramp (2.4.3.27.1 nil/nil); /sudo doesn't work

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.4.3.27.1 nil/nil); /sudo doesn't work
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:29:02 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Iʼm not sure what the manual would say?
>
> "When doing package-list-packages and installing some unspecified
> packages, do that from a 'clean' emacs"
>
> (and ordinary users would not read that section of the manual anyway).

:-)

> What might be better is a warning when upgrading packages that the
> package is already loaded, and recommending the 'clean'
> approach. Perhaps that could be a per-package opt-in?

Well, package-install shall do some book-keeping, which Emacs version
has been used for compiling a package. And when a new Emacs version
appears, it shall trigger a warning, or a recompilation, or whatever.

(I know there are traps for people like us, who change often the Emacs
version in order to check bugs)

Hmm, maybe I'll do it at least for Tramp. Keep a variable for the Emacs
version used for compilation, and react somehow, if another (major)
Emacs version is used.