Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 18:14:06 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

>> > I'll see if I can get the automated test suites running today or tomorrow.
>>
>> That would be great. I had to stop for today (there's also other
>> business, surprisingly), but I will continue tomorrow.

Short update. Since I cannot find a file name quoting which satisfies
both pscp and MS Windows scp, I've decided to add a new user option
tramp-use-ms-dos-quote-argument. It's default value is nil, but users
can change it to non-nil. In that case, Tramp would apply the changed
file name quotation for scp arguments, i.e. replacing a double quote by
two double quotes, and putting everything into a start/stop double
quote.

It doesn't work yet, and I'm still running my test suite in many
constellations, so likely there's nothing to commit for today.

> No worries! I forgot to mention in my previous email that if you have
> Git installed on your Windows system, you should have access to the
> MSYS2 port of OpenSSH. That might make it easier to test the different
> cases so you don't have to wait on me to run the tests. I just added
> this to my .emacs and it picks up the MSYS2 ports:
>
>   (setq exec-path (cons "C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin" exec-path))
>   (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\Program Files\\Git\\usr\\bin;" (getenv "PATH")))

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this next.

> I also set `tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options' to t. Aside from
> taking a bit longer when first connecting to the server, I haven't
> noticed any issues. That said, ControlMaster might not actually do
> anything on the MSYS2 port. Reports on the web about it vary, and I
> haven't had time to verify whether it really works or if it's just
> ignoring those settings.

Hmm. Yes. But I have no idea how to check it w/o collateral damages (and
you are not the first one who has asked). Proposals welcome!