Re: Tramp never unmounts sshfs volumes

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp never unmounts sshfs volumes
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 13:41:47 +0200

Stephen Gildea <stepheng+emacs@gildea.com> writes:

Hi Stephen,

I'm adding tramp-devel@gnu.org to Cc, likely this is of public interest.

> When I run tramp-cleanup-all-connections or tramp-cleanup-this-connection
> on an sshfs buffer, the sshfs process and mount do not get cleaned up.

There are different scenarii to be considered. The sshfs mount could
exist already, or not. That's why the cleanup does not unmount the sshfs
connection unconditionally.

> Looking at tramp-sshfs-maybe-open-connection, I see that a dummy process
> is attached to the connection buffer, and then the sshfs process is
> started and forgotten.
>
> Perhaps cleanup would work as I expect if we give sshfs the "-f" (run in
> foreground) flag and then attach it to the connection buffer, removing
> the dummy process.

Maybe. But again, this works only if Tramp mounts the sshfs file system
itself. Maybe we should add a user option tramp-sshfs-unmount-on-cleanup,
which controls whether the file system is unmounted on cleanup? The
default value could depend on whether there is already a respective
mount point when opening the connection.

(Likewise tramp-rclone-unmount-on-cleanup.)

> Separately, I see that tramp-fuse-unmount runs program "fusermount3".
> My system has only "fusermount" installed, so, if this function were
> to be called, it would fail for me.

Well, fusermount3 is recommend on the sshfs pages. If fusermount works
for you similar, I could check which of the commands is installed, and
call it respectively.