Re: Tramp never unmounts sshfs volumes

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp never unmounts sshfs volumes
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 16:27:29 +0200

Stephen Gildea <stepheng+emacs@gildea.com> writes:

Hi Stephen,

> How about a more descriptive comment for new function tramp-file-name-unify.
> I think the term "unify" is not as specific as it could be.  It seems the
> point is that vec objects returned by this function compare 'equal' if they
> refer to the same connection.

I'm notoriously bad in choosing names and comments. Proposals welcome! However,
the name shall start with `tramp-file-name-' due to its relation to the
defstruct.

>>   > Two Emacs processes accessing the same remote host can confuse each
>> other:
>>   >    . open an sshfs file in Emacs 1
>>   >    . open an sshfs file in Emacs 2 on the same remote host
>>   >    . cleanup-all in Emacs 1
>>   >    . try to access file again in Emacs 2 - fails: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>>   Yes, you can always shoot yourself in the foot. It might be possible to
>>   check this case, but is it really worth the effort?
>
> I do not need this fixed.  Tramp sshfs is very useful to me as-is.  But I
> wonder if in general it would be good for Tramp to be robust against dying
> network connections.

There are also other connection types which will suffer from two Emacs
sessions in parallel. No need to fix this.

However, it is is different if a network connection is dying. I will
work on this scenario next days.